Over the last several years Vlogging has gained immense popularity thanks to much more access to online video services such as Youtube and Vimeo. While Blogging has existed for quite long as compared to Vlogging. Both Blogging vs Vlogging are means of communication former communicates through words and visuals and later communicates through videos. In fact, the name Vlog (Video Log) has been in some way derived from word BLOG.
Summary of Blogging vs Vlogging:
- What is a Blog?
- What is a Vlog?
- What is the difference between a blog and a Vlog?
- What is the similarity between a Blog and Vlog?
- Types of blogs and Vlogs?
- How to start a Vlog?
- What are the best apps for making Vlogs in mobile devices?
- Difference between a Blog and a Website?
- What is the difference between a Vlogger and YouTuber?
- Blogging vs Vlogging Money
- Blogging vs Vlogging | Which one is better for you?
- Can I make a Blog and Vlog together?
- What is the history of Blogging and Vlogging?
- Is Vlogging going to replace Blogging in the future?
What is a Blog?
A blog is an extension of the website(or a full-fledged website itself ex: blogging sites) which bloggers write their views, daily routine or many other things according to their interest. Before some years it’s purely text-based but now blogger uses pictures/Infographics as well to make it more attractive. Most likely, A blogger writes regularly on it and makes it more attractive by Infographics.
What is a Vlog?
Vlog means Video Blog or Video Log and in this user share their ideas, thoughts or views through their videos and sometimes they also use text and pictures in the video. It’s a form of Web television. They use their personal website or social media platforms like YouTube, Vimeo and Instagram and many others to make vlogs.
What are the differences between a Blog and Vlog?
The medium of Communication: They both have a different platform of communication and very unlike each other. For example, A blog is a purely text-based platform and while A Vlog is a visual-based and sometimes mix of videos, photos, and texts.
The medium of People Engagement: A blogger engages people with his writing skills. He/She express his/her feelings or views with words and by the picture as well. A Vlogger does the magic with his/her voice and visual, unlike the blog. People’s engagement depends on how entertaining is video.
Popularity: Since the mobile phone revolution in the past few years Vlogging has overtaken the blogging platform. Most of them like the videos because they are short and easy to understand. Vlogs give a complete insight into any topic with visual, unlike blogs in which you can only read. Also, visual communication has proven more effective as it holds the viewer’s attention almost immediately.
Vlogs are in trend: Vlogs are currently in trend because before that people only can read the blogs and use imagination to understand things. But Vlogs make it better by providing visualization and removed the imagination barrier. So, it gained more attention from people in less time and became a trend compared to blogs.
Easy to Understand: An average person took more time to understand things while reading but vlogs make them understand easily and people can see results visually.
Cost: Blog less costly than a vlog. For a Vlog, you must have a decent camera, sound recorder and also video making software which adds to the overall cost. Comparatively, for a blog, all you need is an internet service and a website that is relatively cheaper compared to Vlogging investments(You can also use free blogging platforms such as Blogspot, Weebly, etc).
What are the similarities between a blog and vlog?
Increasing Traffic: Why people make blogs and vlogs, it’s simple just to gain traffic on their blog or vlog. They do a lot of hard work so they attract more people to their websites.
- Provide Value or Entertainment: If you want to make people stick with your stuff, it should be entertaining or should offer some value to the reader/viewer so people spend more time with them. These things apply to both blog and vlog. Most of the blogs provide value to their readers. Even many of the vlogs also provide users with various solutions while some vlogs provide entertainment.
- Internet Connection: Both need an Internet connection to work on it. You can’t make vlogs or post blogs without an internet connection.
- People Attachment: The Main purpose of vlog and blog is to make an attachment with the people so they visit again and again on Vlog/Blog and become your trusted visitor. If you failed in this task then your Vlog/Blog might face a lack of visitors.
- Influence: Both can be used to influence people on some topics because people follow both on a large scale.
- Equal Earning Opportunity: Blog and Vlog both have an equal earning opportunity. If you want to do it for money then choose any between them according to your passion and interest.
- Communication: Both is a medium of communication with people and with this Blogger/Vlogger share their views, opinion or thoughts.
Types of Blogs
Personal Blog: Personal blog is like an online diary where people write about their interest or daily life. HuffPost is the biggest example you can see which have estimated unique monthly visitors around 110,000,000.
Other Blogs: Other than Personal blogs there are so many types and some of them are as follows:
- Corporate Blog
- Generic Blog
- Health & Fitness Blog
- Food Blog
- Travel Blog, etc
Types of Vlogs
- Personal Vlog: Do you ever think to make a vlog for yourself where you share your personal thoughts and daily life routine and things or hobbies. Well, this is what we call personal vlogs. Pewdiepie is currently one of the best vloggers.
- Prank Vlog: While watching videos on youtube you might watch some funny videos where a person prank other people. This type of Vlogs is known as Prank vlogs. PRANK vs. PRANK is the biggest example that has 373,372,775 views on his channel.
- Informative Vlog: When you want to learn something or need some info about a topic you watch tutorials on YouTube this type of vlog we called informative vlog.
- Food Vlog: On food vlogs, we learn the food recipe of any cuisine. They provide full tutorials of it and gives you some tips and tricks to make the recipe better. Alla’s yummy food is the best example of a food vlog with 83.1k subscribers.
- Health-Related Vlog: This kind of Vlogs provides gym and fitness related videos. They teach you all the methods from beginners to advanced levels on their vlog. Bodybuilding.com is one of the best vlogs you can find in the gym and fitness category.
How to start a vlog?
Creating a vlog ain’t a tough job, Everybody can make their vlog by following these simple steps:
- Take a good camera for Vlogging.
- Create your video channel on some famous platforms like YouTube, Instagram, Dailymotion.
- Record your video and try to make it in HD format.
- Your recorded video should be informed as well as entertaining. Criticize your video by yourself and if you think your video should need more work, then do it.
- Edit it and use some effects to make it better.
- Upload your video.
- Share and promote your video.
- Be regular and bring more interesting stuff.
- Monetize your channel.
What is the best app for Vlogging in Mobile devices?
You can find plenty of apps for Vlogging which available in both android and ios platforms. Some of them are free to use and some are paid as well, You can make your vlogs and edit too with these apps:
- Magisto Video Editor
- Adobe Premiere Rush
- Anchor Videos
- Flimora Go
What is the difference between a Blog and a Website?
A blog is a type of website where blog owners update articles regularly and you can see the latest post on top. While a website is a kind of static in nature and they have different pages where posts are published. You don’t have to update it regularly like a blog.
For example A food blogger upload food posts regular so their visitors keep stick with his food blog and come to see every day that what is new today.
Opposite this, we don’t need to do post regularly because a website owner has different goals.
A major difference between blog and vlog is “All blogs can be a website or can be a part of it but all websites can’t be a blog”.
What is the difference between a Vlogger and a YouTuber?
As we know a Vlogger is a video blogger who shares his thoughts and views with videos. Vlogs are basically short videos and done on different platforms like a personal website, Vimeo, Dailymotion, MetaCafe, YouTube and many others.
But a YouTuber only post their videos on YouTube. They have to make an account on YouTube and then they post their stuff over it.
Blogging vs Vlogging: Money
When we talk about making money from Blogging or Vlogging, In my opinion, both platforms provide you and equal opportunity to earn money. Both have monetization feature by which you can earn money. As per Ajay Maheswari Founder of Digital Hikes, which is one of the leading in Digital Marketing Institute in Delhi, Blogging is there to stay but Vlogging will gain more popularity as it is aided by mobile phone revolution and ease of internet access.
If you thinking that Vlogging makes more money then think about some top bloggers who make millions of money from their blogs.
Blogging vs Vlogging: which one is better?
In Blogging vs Vlogging, you can choose anyone according to your interests. The main thing is your passion for it. If you can write well and hesitate to face people directly then you can choose the blog.
You can communicate well with people and express your thoughts on something better than text then you should choose vlogs. You can choose any of them both is the best method to express feelings and communicate with people.
Can I make a blog and vlog together?
Yes, In fact, Blog and Vlog complement each other. Choosing one among blog and vlog can be a difficult part for newbies. If you are facing the same situation and have a shortage of money but good video skills, then do it together. There are a lot of people doing the same thing, so why don’t you?
A Complete History of Blogging and Vlogging
Blog: The first blog was created by Justin Hall in 1994 which is “links.net” and that created a blog that was created by him when he was in the Swarthmore college as a student. But we can’t call that a blog because it was more like a personal homepage.
After that, in December 1997 John Barger invented his own blog which is known as “Robot wisdom”.
Vlog: According to data the first blog is uploaded on the Internet in the year 2000 by Adam Kontras on his own websites.
In this video, he was smuggling a dog into the hotel and he posted that video on his own website.
I think he kind of weirdo like who do these kinds of things into their first blog post.
In 2000 there ain’t any proper platforms to upload vlogs so when YouTube launched in 2005, this allowed people to upload videos for free and also to a wider audience.
The first vlog is uploaded on YouTube in 2005 and the title was “Me at the Zoo”.
Is Vlogging going to replace Blogging in the future?
There are a lot of people out there who love reading more than watching videos. The words you read in blogs came from the heart so while reading we feel attracted to it. Vlogging makes its place in a short amount of time but it’s not like that it overpowering Blogging.
Sometimes beginners get confused between Blogging and Vlogging. But as we have explained above you choose the one based on various factors like your interests/ your passion / etc. Keep in mind that don’t go to those things you ain’t interested in or have a shortage of knowledge.
Both give you an equal opportunity to make money. Just stick with your goal and don’t lose focus. Great things can’t be achieved in a single night or in a short time. Do some hard work, be regular.
So which you think is more suited to you, Blog or Vlog? And Why? Let us know your opinion in the comments.