Clip Studio Paint is a Japan-based product with its parent company Celsys. Professionals recommend this to beginners for a great learning foundation. Be it creating comics, animated presentations, any artistic illustration, or merely painting something you wish. Clip Studio Paint is your one-stop solution. Through Clip Studio Paint sale, you can also get it a reasonable price.
But the user response has been mixed because of the following cons.
- The complex interface.
- Linux is not supported.
- Can not use audio files
- No provision to edit text format
- A bit expensive overall
So for those who are thinking of finding suitable Clip Studio Paint alternatives, we have curated this list of five such great apps like clip studio paint with details about them.
Our Recommendations of best Clip Studio Paint Alternatives
- Autodesk Sketchbook
- Adobe Illustrator CC
- CorelDraw Graphic Suite
Now, it is time to check out their features, downsides, and their pricing portfolio.
Krita is widely known for being a Free Open Source Software and known as one of the best clip studio paint free alternatives. We all know how Free Open Source software or FOSS works. Artists had this idea of making an art tool affordable and packed with features helpful for both professionals and beginners. In Krita vs Clip studio paint, there are many similarities that make Krita a suitable Clip studio paint alternative. that Krita can easily replace the expensive contemporary software, delivering an easy-to-use interface, fast workflow, and powerful features. Let’s see its features.
- Free and easy-to-use layout
- Offers 9-brush engines
- Custom brush creation
- Brushes are pressure-controlled, meaning there is a change in thickness with different pressure
- Edge blur-out option
- Layer management tools to allow merge and edit your drawings in layers.
- Educational guidance and instructions are available that you can access via the internet.
- A web-based version is available to use.
- Supports both PC and tablets
- Supports HDR images
- Various tools are there for rendering, blending, mirror effects, etc.
- Symmetry painting tools
- Multi-brush tools that make gradients, transformation tools, moving the subject simple and easy.
- RAW files support
- Being open-source software, it constantly receives updates (often some unstable ones) showing errors, disrupting your work progress. This issue is not frequent, though.
- It consumes a lot of RAM, showing lags eventually if the hardware is not powerful enough.
- Pixel art isn’t best-suited in this.
- The interface, although simple, looks outdated.
Nothing is there to say about pricing, as we already mentioned that this open-source software is free to use.
Inkscape made its name on our list of apps like clip studio paint due to plenty of reasons. This software is open-source, free to use, and it works on Linux. Obviously, it is available for both Windows and macOS. Moreover, Inkscape doesn’t compromise with features despite being free.
Let’s see its features.
- It can be compatible with weak PCs
- Free-to-use software
- Beginner-friendly interface
- Supports Linux OS
- It is open-source
- It offers Vector managing tools, e.g. airbrush, paint bucket.
- Great community
- Interface looks outdated
- It takes time to get used to all features
- Text formatting tools are not good.
- Users reported issues with the Mac variant.
- Formatting options are not up to expectations.
- CMYK and Pantone are not supported, so the printing experience is cumbersome.
Like Krita, this one is also free and open-source, so it is a boon for those afraid of subscription service-enabled software.
Autodesk SketchBook is an excellent alternative to Clip Studio Paint. Professional artists, engineers prefer this over anything else for its robustness, smooth and clean UI, 3D illustration expertise, and four symmetry dimensional elements in the artwork. just like the previous two mentioned programs, Autodesk Sketchbook is also a free-to-use program. We will list more of its features down below.
- Simple interface.
- Great brush properties control.
- Realism inspired 18-layer blending modes.
- Custom brushes option.
- Students can use it for free for educational purposes.
- Provision for scanning with the use of the camera.
- It supports the import of JPG, PNG, TIFF, BMP file types.
- Different perspective modes are there. (1,2,3 point and fisheye mode)
- Different selection modes like oval selection etc.
- You can access the software on all platforms with one subscription.
- Users reported sluggishness in MacOS.
- Some users also claimed that they faced issues while installing it on their tablets.
Adobe Illustrator CC
Adobe Illustrator from Adobe Creative Cloud is a vector animation software targeted towards artists from the same genre. Adobe is a big name with a good reputation in the industry. Be it the vector graphics, illustrations, designs, and any other related purposes, It is a one-stop option, making it one of the most preferable alternatives to Clip Studio Paint.
Here are the features it has.
- It is versatile. Logos, printing, packaging, and managing all these with ease make Adobe Illustrator a great tool.
- Vector graphic tools that ensure crisp, sharp lines with no pixelated issues make it perfect for banners, billboards.
- Any unsaved open document is not lost. You can retrieve it with the name “recovered” added.
- Creative Cloud feature is there to save all your work in progress as a backup, regardless of which device you are using. You just need to subscribe to the Creative Cloud feature.
- A wide range of file export options is allowed.
- The image tracing tool feature is there to turn your hand-drawn artwork into digitalized Vector graphics.
- The Colour Synchronization feature is there.
- Customizable Templates are available.
- Puppet Warp feature.
- High RAM consumption
- It is a subscription-only software. We can not purchase a perpetual license.
- Artists coming from Photoshop and InDesign will face difficulty in Key Commands uniformity.
If we opt for the yearly plan of Adobe Illustrator, it will cost $19.99. Otherwise, the single month-to-month basis model plan would fetch the cost of $29.99.
However, the full suite with all the tools and packages would attract $49.99 every month.
A 7-day free trial window is there with no obligation to divulge your credit card info.
CorelDraw Graphic Suite
CorelDraw from Corel Corporations is a popular choice for freelancers, small businesses with a limited budget for marketing. This is one of the best clip studio paint alternatives and the reason behind that it is an easy-to-use tool that can let you create an amazing piece of art.
It is easy to use, widely chosen for its prospective designs, extrude tools.
Our testing showed that CorelDraw is an excellent substitute for Clip Studio Paint.
- Live Sketch Tools correct the shaky lines, encouraging those who find it difficult to draw digitally.
- It saves time that it takes from drawing on paper to transferring the subject to the digital screen.
- Perspective drawing helps in creating 1-point, 2-point, and 3-point perspective objects.
- The multi-page view offers you the scopes to modify your designs on different pages without losing the other.
- CorelDraw allows users to export multiple projects simultaneously in various formats like PNG, JPEG, etc., without any hassle or headache.
- CorelDraw comes with this clean, easy-on-the-eye interface that everyone loves. The UI gives a great initial impression.
- It comes with CAD tools.
- Lack of shortcuts.
- Hiccups for those who are coming from Adobe Illustrator because of Corel’s different navigation tools.
- Intricate allocation of editing tools, making quick edits difficult.
- In perspective drawing, drawing the perfect shape becomes a painful task if we don’t tweak the controls.
- The monthly subscription price is higher than the average editing software in the market.
Get your copy of the CorelDraw Graphics suite for $20.75 per month if you opt for the monthly subscription model. Good news for those who want a permanent copy of the software, as this one comes with a perpetual license for $499, which is pretty competitive in the current market scenario.
Also, there is a 15-day-use free trial window if you want to try it out first before buying.
That said, we are wrapping up our list of the top five recommendations if you are looking for some clip studio paint alternatives. Clip Studio Paint is still the mass appetite among industry experts and enthusiasts. Therefore, you must prioritize the reason (/s) why you went the extra mile to find something else and choose accordingly from our list. We genuinely hope that you will like our choices once you try them. We wish you all the best for your exciting future projects.
Is Clip Studio Paint Good For Beginners?
Clip Studio Paint has two versions which one of them is Clip Studio Paint pro that is one of the best digital art software for beginners. It enables users to create Character and concept art along with illustrations.
Is There A Free Version Of Clip Studio Paint?
There isn’t any free version of Clip Studio Paint. However, there are various upgrades, samples, materials, etc., available free of cost.